The change last year to the swim waves worked GREAT and we got lots of great feedback, so we are doing it again! The changes included pre-set times for meeting by age group and the new zig-zag swim pattern in the pool. All athletes still have to have their gear set up in transition by 8:45 am. The wave times for each age group are shown below -- this will be the time that you must be in the pool lobby ready to be marshalled on to the pool deck.
Wave times for each age group are below. Click on the distance beside your age group to see the diagram of your swim.
- 8:50 am ---- Age 14-15 and 16+ (300m)
- 9:00 am ---- Age 12-13 (250 m)
- 9:10 am ---- Age 7 & under (50 m)
- 9:20 am ---- Age 8-9 (100 m)
- 9:30 am ---- Age 10-11 (150m)
RACE DAY PROCESS
Please ensure that you have done all the things on the "Before Race Day" list before you arrive on Sunday morning!
The transition area will open at 8 am, but there are some things you need to do first!
Arrive at Brennan Park early (8 am at the latest), and then do the following IN ORDER (if you do not have a bike lock, leave your bike on your car or with another person until you have done Steps 1 and 2 below):
- Get your body marking and helmet checked. We will check that the race number tattoos are applied properly, and we can help with any issues. In addition, we will be checking all the helmets for individual racers and for relay bikers. There will be a separate (speedy) line if you are only swimming or running, where we will quickly check your tattoo and sign you off. You MUST be checked by us before heading to transition.
- Set up gear in transition. Triathlon BC rules require only athletes and our volunteers be allowed in the transition area. Show your helmet and bike post sticker to a volunteer at the secured entrance, then proceed to the racks for your age group and set up your bike and other equipment (towel, shoes, etc). Experienced volunteers are available to help if you need it. Make sure your race bib is pinned to the shirt you will be wearing for the bike and run. The race number must be on your front and visible.
- Go to pool lobby for marshalling based on your wave times. See above for wave times for your age group and listen for the marshalling announcement for the pool. All athletes must be body marked and have gear in transition by 8:45 am. Swimmers please enter the pool area from the Rec Centre lobby. Spectators please enter from the door on the opposite side of the pool.
YOU MUST SHOW YOUR RACE NUMBER (BODY OR RACE PLATE) TO REMOVE YOUR BIKE AND GEAR FROM TRANSITION AFTER THE RACE IS OVER
General Rules and Reminders
Please help us make this day successful for everyone by keeping in mind the following:
- All KOS rules are in effect. Please read Kids of Steel Rules & Safety
- Come prepared - make sure your bike is in good, safe working order and your helmet fits well.
- Bring all your equipment (see handy checklist here and helmet safety checklist here) and make sure you have a good sleep and a good breakfast!
- Know the course and how many laps/loops you have to do -- check out the course maps here and come to the pre-race meeting
- Be familiar with road rules and proficient at basic bike skills (e.g. signaling, stopping, cornering, riding in a straight line, riding with other people and passing)
- Bring weather-appropriate clothing for cold, wet, or hot and sunny weather.
- Parents and other spectators only access the pool area from the west doors (back parking lot). Only participants and volunteers can enter from the rec centre lobby and use the door between the pool and transition area.
- Listen to the race marshalls and volunteers.
- SMILE AND HAVE FUN! Everyone is cheering for you!