CHANGES TO THE SWIM
Two important changes are being made to the swim this year -- (1) wave starts by age and (2) new swim pattern in the pool. All athletes still have to have their gear set up in transition by 8:45 am. The wave time for your age group is shown below and is the time that you must be in the pool lobby ready to be marshalled on to the pool deck.
Wave times for each age group are below. Click on the distance beside your age group to see the diagram of your swim.
- 8:50 am ---- Age 14-15 and 16+ (300m)
- 9:10 am ---- Age 12-13 (250 m)
- 9:20 am ---- Age 7 & under (50 m)
- 9:35 am ---- Age 8-9 (100 m)
- 9:50 am ---- Age 10-11 (150m)
RACE DAY PROCESS
- Given Triathlon BC's added requirements on helmet safety, it is very important that you follow the process outlined below. You MUST HAVE a helmet sticker from us before you can put your gear in transition.
- Arrive early (8 am at the latest)...then do the following IN ORDER (if you do not have a bike lock, leave your bike on your car or with another person until you have done Steps 1 and 2 below):
- Get body marked. For safety reasons, all competitors will be marked with permanent ink with their race number. If you are biking (individual or biker on a relay team), you must have your helmet on in the body marking line-up.
- Get helmet checked. Our crew will be doing helmet checks while you are in the body marking line-up. If you pass (see helmet checklist here), you will get a sticker. If there are any issues, you will move to a designated area after body marking and someone will help you.
- Set up gear in transition. Triathlon BC rules require only athletes and our volunteers be allowed in the transition area. Show your helmet sticker to a volunteer at the secured entrance, get a biek security sticker, then proceed to the racks for your age group and set up your bike and other equipment (towel, shoes, etc). Experienced volunteers are available to help if you need it. Make sure your race plate is pinned to the shirt you will be wearing for the bike and run. The race number must be on the front and visible.
- Go to pool lobby for marshalling based on your wave times. See above for wave times for your age group and listen for the marshalling announcement for the pool. All athletes must be body marked and have gear in transition by 8:45 am. Swimmers please enter the pool area from the Rec Centre lobby. Spectators please enter from the door on the opposite side of the pool.
YOU MUST SHOW YOUR RACE NUMBER (BODY OR RACE PLATE) TO REMOVE YOUR BIKE AND GEAR FROM TRANSITION AFTER THE RACE IS OVER
General Rules and Reminders
Please help us make this day successful for everyone by keeping in mind the following:
- All KOS rules are in effect. Please read Kids of Steel Rules & Safety
- Come prepared - make sure your bike is in good, safe working order and your helmet fits well.
- Bring all your equipment (see handy checklist here and helmet safety checklist here) and make sure you have a good sleep and a good breakfast!
- Know the course and how many laps/loops you have to do -- check out the course maps here and come to the pre-race meeting
- Be familiar with road rules and proficient at basic bike skills (e.g. signaling, stopping, cornering, riding in a straight line, riding with other people and passing)
- Bring weather-appropriate clothing for cold, wet, or hot and sunny weather.
- Parents and other spectators only access the pool area from the west doors (back parking lot). Only participants and volunteers can enter from the rec centre lobby and use the door between the pool and transition area.
- Listen to the race marshalls and volunteers.
- SMILE AND HAVE FUN! Everyone is cheering for you!